Homemade sausage pizza has become one of our favorites due to discovering the great pizza sausage from our local Hollywood Markets. No surprise to find there’s a National Sausage Pizza Day today to celebrate this good food.
No affiliate relationship, just a tasty sausage that goes wonderfully well with our favorite pizza sauce by Pastorelli (which I keep tabs on which markets carry it… I’ll drive to a different grocery store for it).
I’m very loyal to particular products when I find one that’s outstanding, one that I’d recommend to family, friends and others. The Hollywood sausage and Pastorelli sauce both qualify.
It’s easy to enjoy a hot sausage pizza several times a week. I’ve already written about how to cook your sausage for pizza. Our favorite Hollywood sausage is not too spicy, not too bland, just right.
Tips for easy sausage pizza:
- Purchase sausage in bulk, without casings
- Precook and crumble the sausage before adding to your pizza
- Drain the sausage on paper towels if there is excess grease
- Freeze sausage if you won’t use it promptly, in pizza-sized batches
- Plan to use your frozen sausage within two or three months
- Thaw package of frozen sausage in the refrigerator overnight, the day before you’ll make your pizza
- Add cooked sausage to your pizza after the sauce and Parmesan cheese, before the mozzarella
A good pizza sausage adds lots of flavor to your pizza, complements your sauce and other ingredients. It can make your pizza baked at home extra good.